VNC conection problem after upgrade FC5

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed May 17 17:43:27 UTC 2006

Samuel Díaz García wrote:

> 1 hour ago, I was working with a remote machine using VNC, I updated
> VNC on that machine because new version fix a security issue.
>
> I updated the remote server and the remote cliente (using yum)
>
> [server at cura gdm]# yum list installed | grep vnc
> vnc.i386                                 4.1.1-37.fc5           installed
> vnc-server.i386                          4.1.1-37.fc5           installed
>
> [client at sdg01 ~]# yum list installed | grep vnc
> vnc.i386                                 4.1.1-37.fc5           installed
> vnc-server.i386                          4.1.1-37.fc5           installed
>
> But now, I can't use VNC to access the GUI in the vncserver.
> In server side, I can see in /var/log/gdm/:0.log messages as:
>
> Wed May 17 18:53:20 2006
>  Connections: accepted: 84.123.236.0::52713
>
> Wed May 17 18:53:21 2006
>  SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
>  SConnection: Client requests security type VncAuth(2)
>  SConnection: unexpected security type
>  Connections: closed: 84.123.236.0::52713 (unexpected security type)

I'm seeing exactly the same problem on FC4.  I just put up another post
about it.  I had at that time only tried to connect using older versions
of the VNC viewer on various systems (Windows, my Kubuntu laptop).  But
I just tried connecting to a vncserver using the same version of
vncviewer (vnc-4.1.1-10.1.fc4) and get the same error message.
Something's broken here.