Q re networking, might need guru

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 18 15:33:25 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Did you try 'yum install ethereal-gnome'?  After that, it should
>>> show up in the applications/internet menu or you can start it
>>> with the 'ethereal' command.
>>>
>> Yes I did that, but I'm running kde Les, and have to start it from the
>> cli.  It didn't work, I presume its too gnome-centric so I removed it,
>> and now etherape, another GTK+ app, cannot be made to work.
>
> You have something even worse wrong.  I see ethereal in the
> internet menu in a KDE session and it also works fine started
> from the command line in a Konsole window.  There is nothing about
> kde that breaks gtk/gnome apps.

I did not see befor or after installing etherape, and etherape was the
first tarball I'd built.  Everything else except skype is an rpm.  And I
built it to get a network monitor of SOME kind. There is not, and never
has been, an ethereal available in any kde menu.  What tree did yours
show up in?  I'm looking in the yumex info for the installed ethereal,
and the info there does not show an executable binary as being part of
that package:
/etc/pam.d/ethereal
/etc/security/console.apps/ethereal
/usr/lib/ethereal
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0/acn.so
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/agentx.so
/usr/sbin/artnet.so
/usr/share/doc/asn1.so
/usr/share/doc/ethereal-0.99.0/ciscosm.so
/usr/share/doc/ethereal-0.99.0/doc/coseventcomm.so
/usr/share/cosnaming.so
/usr/share/ethereal/docsis.so
/usr/share/ethereal/diameter/enttec.so
/usr/share/ethereal/dtds/gryphon.so
/usr/share/ethereal/help/h223.so
/usr/share/ethereal/radius/irda.so
/usr/share/man/man1/lwres.so
/usr/share/man/man4/mate.so

I do not see an excutable binary in that list, hence my comment about
the packaging of it.  Does yours show one?

>> If this
>> yumex update ever gets done, its been working on it for 4 hours now,
>> I'll reboot to 2118_FC5  and see if that does any good.  That will bring
>> in a new compiler version & maybe a 3rd rebuild will restore etherape.
>>   We'll bow to the east & all that if it does.
>
> It's always a good idea to do frequent 'yum update's, but I'm
> guessing you clobbered a system library yourself.  I'd fix that
> before going much farther with trying to debug an application.

Only skype has ever been installed from the tarball, and thats prebuilt
so its apparently identical to the rpms also available, I've tried both.

--
Cheers, Gene