[OT] Recommendation Email Servers

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 18 17:24:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 12:05, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 18/05/06, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But does it support virtual users?
>
> Not sure what you mean by virtual users... the OP asked about virtual
> domains, which is largely a MTA issue, nothing to do with dovecot as
> far as I can see. Perhaps i totally misunderstand. It happens
> regularly.

Virtual domains can mean that you want user at domain1 to
be the same as user at domain2 and user will have a login
on the machine.  Virtual users would normally mean that
user at domain1 is different from user at domain2 and they
may not have a real login at all - that is, they would
authenticate from a database or LDAP directory instead
of having a system password.  Both the MTA and POP/IMAP
servers have to be configured to use this alternate
mechanism.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com