Q re networking, might need guru

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 18 19:01:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 13:41, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > The piece you want is in ethereal-gnome:
> >
> > # rpm -q --list ethereal-gnome
> > /usr/bin/ethereal
> > /usr/sbin/ethereal
> > /usr/share/applications/net-ethereal.desktop
> > /usr/share/man/man1/ethereal.1.gz
> > /usr/share/pixmaps/ethereal.png
> >
> Thats the one I installed, but didn't seem to want to work.  The main
> display window was still a blank after 10 minutes worth of browseing and
> two email fetch runs by tbird.

Blank as in the X display is broken or blank as in not updating
with packets matching your interface and filter selection?
If capturing is the problem, try:
tcpdump -s1500 -w filename
  ..do some stuff, then control-C to end the capture, then
ethereal -r filename
to view/analyze the capture.
Ethereal should do the capture too, but you may have to play
with the interface and options. I'm not sure if all wireless
cards will work in promiscuous mode.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com