Can't Remote Log In

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Fri May 19 05:34:59 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 02:26, Johannes Christian wrote:
>
>>>Using vnc, I get past the vnc password but the screensaver password
>>>(ther user password) simply hangs.  With ssh, after a long wait I do get
>>>the password prompt, but no response to the password.

I hope I have the attributions correct.  Is your server mounting other
filesystems via NFS?  This is a classic symptom of an NFS server failing
to respond in my experience.

>Is selinux enabled?  I thought I saw some other messages
>about the recent update causing selinux to prevent vnc logins.

It turned out that this set of VNC problems was unrelated to selinux,
but was instead due to a recent security fix which broke VNC
authentication.  In any event, that doesn't affect ssh, which the
original poster also says doesn't work.