Can't print after CUPS update this morning?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 19 14:29:16 UTC 2006

Lauri wrote:

>> The reason CUPS is rejecting this is that the correct network address
>> is:
>>
>>   192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
>> and not
>>   192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
>
> But why it's incorrect? It should be correct.

192.168.1.1 is a host address, not a network address with the
255.255.255.0 netmask. Offhand, I can not think of a network
configuration what would have 192.168.1.1 as a network address as
apposed to a host address. An explanation of why it works that way
is a bit complicated, and an understanding of binary helps. A good
rule to keep in mind is that if you binary AND a host address with
the netmask, you get the network address.

Mikkel

PS - Interesting thought - what would a netmask of 255.255.255.1
give you? All the odd or even addresses between x.x.x.1 and
x.x.x.255, depending on the network address?