running shell scripts from external USB disk

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri May 19 16:36:49 UTC 2006

joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl (Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a FC5 system with an internal disk and a external USB disk withanext3 partition on it. If a shell script (bash,csh etc..) is located on the
>internal drive it works fine. If I copy it to the USB disk I get problems:
>(why????)
>

>aaee-jj ) ./test.sh
>./test.sh: Permission denied.
>aaee-jj ) ty test.sh
>#!/bin/tcsh
>aaee-jj ) ls -al *.sh
>-rwx--x--x 1 joukj joukj 1683 Apr 10 15:36 sg-dupes-mv.sh
>-rwx------ 1 joukj joukj   12 May 16 16:15 test.sh
>aaee-jj ) who am i
>joukj    pts/4        2006-05-19 16:03 (:0.0)
>aaee-jj )
>

>                        Jouk

Check the contents of the script.  You can get a "permission denied"
from a command within the script.  This will look just like you are
getting "permission denied" for the script itself.  Also, look at
ownership and permissions for the files the script acts on.  Could be
the USB drive is getting mounted as owned by root or the UID or GID for
the files are different on the USB drive than what you expect.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce