Postfix and Mysql

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat May 20 03:53:26 UTC 2006

I've heard that the reason the shipped Postfix RPM does not support
Mysql is to avoid requiring people to install Mysql in order to use
Postfix.  However, use of Mysql with Postfix is very useful for
larger sites.

How about splitting the Mysql RPM into a mysql RPM which would contain
the database, and a mysql-client or mysql-libs RPM that would contain
the client access library?  That way Postfix could be compile with
Mysql support, and it would only require the small Mysql client library
as a dependency, rather than a full Mysql installation?  OpenLDAP is
already packaged this way, which is presumably why the shipped Postfix
RPM does include LDAP support.

If the powers that be find this idea acceptable, I'm willing to
take a crack at modifying the Mysql spec file to do this, since it
would save me rebuilding Postfix RPMs every time there's a new
Fedora release or Postfix update.

Eric Smith