Lost video suddently during boot up - FC5

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat May 20 14:44:44 UTC 2006

Barry Yu wrote:
> I set the video resolution above 1024x780 (don't recall exactly how
> much), it is a crt monitor, reboot, and the system starting in text mode
> first (log before log in screen), just has finished the Starting udev
> [ok], suddently the video is gone, sooner the monitor displayed video
> out of range message. Apparantly I have the reset the resolution of display!
> How can I use the resue cd to boot into shell so that I can edit the
> XF86Config to reset the resolution? I never use the rescue cd to boot
> into shell before, no idea how to proceed the steps. Thanks for helping.

You do not even need the rescue CD. When the system boots, hit a key
to get the boot menu. Make sure the Linux entry is highlighted, and
hit e to edit the entry. Highlight the line with the kernel on it.
This is usualy the second line. Hit e again. Go to the end of the
line, add a space and 3, and hit enter. Then hit b to boot the
system. It will boot to run level 3. You can then log in as root,
and run setup. You can then pick X11 setup.

Mikkel