How do I change kernel?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun May 21 00:10:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 22:26 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 6:54 PM +0200 5/19/06, Tomas Larsson wrote:
> >Not exactly, but I want to run an earlier kernel, and have the kernel-devel
> >installed for that kernel as well, it seems that yum refuses to do anything
> >when a later devel is installed.
> >
> >Do I need to manually remove the current devel-package and reinstall the
> >earlier?
>
> You don't have to use yum at all.  If it's a Fedora kernel, just navigate
> the web to the download server and fetch the SRPM there.  Follow the
> instructions in the Release Notes and build as a normal user.
Why do the SRPM?.  Use the actual binary kernel rpm so you do not have
to compile.

The original kernel for the FC5 distro is at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/

Updated kernels are at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/

You may need to change the path depending on your architecture (i386 or
x86_64)
I noticed that the 2080 kernel is not there, but 2096 and 2111 are.
(2080 is missing from the SRPMs as well) (my machine is x86_64 so the
kernel may have different build numbers but I think they are the same.)

The OP may also want to make a change to keep the older kernels when he
does an update.
Editing /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf and changing the line
that says tokeep=2 to whatever value desired will keep as many installed
kernels as you choose.  The default keeps only the newly installed
kernel and the one currently running.