udev hangs in FC5

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 21 04:44:24 UTC 2006

Lonni J Friedman:
>> The udev boot hang is before kudzu runs.

Cokey:
> Had the same problem.  In my situation, it seemed to be something to do
> with the probing parallel port.  Booted in rescue mode and edited the
> /etc/sysconfig/modules/udev-stw.modules and removed 'parport_pc parport
> lp'  from the 'for' line and  it's been booting just fine ever since.
> Put the printer intialization in the rc.local for the moment and
> everything works.  Have no explanation.

How's your parallel port set up in the BIOS?  Fixed addresses, "auto"
mode?  Likewise, is the BIOS set for a Plug and Play OS?  Sometimes
changing them around might be all that's needed.  My settings are YES
there's a PnP OS installed, the parallel and serial ports have fixed
addresses set for the traditional locations, and the parallel port is
set to the highest set of features it has to choose from.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.