setting up nat

Antoine melser.anton at gmail.com
Mon May 22 17:24:26 UTC 2006

On 22/05/06, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
> > Thanks for all your comments and help. I installed shorewall and got
> > it configured with a minimum of fuss. I definitely think a tutorial or
> > two might be an idea on the website though...
> > Cheers
> > Antoine
>
> Excuse me?  What site are you talking about?  Shorewall has got to be
> about the most documented firewall around.  And, if you can get past the
> rough edges, Tom Eastep is the best when it comes to answering questions
> on the Shorewall mailing list.
>
> http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_quickstart_guide.htm#Guides
>
> Is the best starting place...

OK - link might have been a better suggestion. I would be surprised if
there were many other major distros out there that didn't have an easy
"standard" way to set up masq (through a network wizard, say) - and I
searched for ages before looking at the very guide you link to above.
They are indeed excellent guides, though I agree (see other post) that
for someone with no networking knowledge it would have been daunting.
After coming from gentoo, there is one thing that I miss already and
that is the documentation - gentoo has very little commercial support
(compared with fedora/suse/ubuntu, etc) but their docs are easily the
best I have ever seen...
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.