ntpq no longer working -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 22 19:46:04 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>> Do not try giving the same alias or hostname to two different IP
>>> addresses, that's bound to cause problems.  Also, there's no need to put
>>> the same name as an alias as you've got as a hostname, the aliases are
>>> *optional* *alternatives*.
>>>

> Bob Goodwin:
>
>> I've changed /etc/hosts pretty much as you suggested:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>> 10.1.1.2        box2
>> 10.1.1.3        box3
>> 10.1.1.4        box4
>> 10.1.1.1        box1
>> 192.168.1.226   box1
>>
>> But that leaves me with two lines aliased to box1, I'm not sure if that
>> can cause problems?
>>

> Quite likely...  Whether it's the problem you're dealing with now, or
> going to be others in the future.
>
> Each network interface *really* *should* have a unique address
> (numerical and/or named).  It is *possible* to have some that aren't
> unique, but you really need to know what you're doing for that to work
> (and it's not something I can offer advice on).
>
> Not knowing your network (rearrange to suit), you might want to try
> something along these lines with the last two on your list:
>
> 10.1.1.1        eth.box1
> 192.168.1.226   wireless.box1
>
> It distinguishes the interfaces, but still makes it easy for you to work
> out which is which box.
>
> NB:  I'm not sure that it's essential that you name each interface.  I
> don't know if you're doing this because you want to, or because you
> think you have to.  And if any of those interfaces are being configured
> by DHCP, it's possible for the DHCP server to provide the name.  It's
> also possible for you to get assigned different IPs, and then the hosts
> file would be out of kilter.  I only use a very simple hosts file on my
> machines, as I have a DNS server that works with my DHCP server.

I think dhcp acts beyond the eth0/192.168.1.226 wireless bridge.  Somehow
I have to direct the computer to that eth0 interface if it's going to
reach the internet, printer, etc.

As you say you can't know what my system looks like but I think what I have
now is pretty close to being set up right and it is working again,
thanks to the help
I received here.

>> Can I put the bridge address on the line above it?
>>
>> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>> 10.1.1.2        box2
>> 10.1.1.3        box3
>> 10.1.1.4        box4
>> 10.1.1.1        192.168.1.226	box1

I don't think the last line is correct as above.  10.1.1.1`box1 should
be eth1
while 192.168.1.226 is eth0 that connects to the wireless bridge.  Perhaps
as you say I should have named them differently somehow but I tend to think
of  them as interfaces to the same computer, box1.  Box1 has to
interface either
the LAN or the wireless network.

> The format of the hosts file is: numerical IP address, white space,
> fully-qualified domain name, white space, then optional aliases
> separated by white spaces.
>
> e.g. 192.168.1.2 webserver.example.com webserver newsserver fileserver
>
> "Aliases" meaning alternative names for the same interface.  They could
> be single words (as above), or other fully-qualified domain names, as
> below:
>
> e.g. 192.168.1.2 www.example.com ftp.example.com news.example.com
>
> If you start putting numerical IP addresses into other places in the
> hosts file, you're going to get some strange behaviours.
Ok, I won't try that.

I appreciate the time and effort spent covering this for me.

Thanks.

Bob