fc5 hangs

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon May 22 22:13:58 UTC 2006

David L wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Two days in a row my fc5 computer has frozen soon after I start using
>> it in the morning.  The screen wakes up from screensaver mode when I
>> move the mouse and I'm able to do a few things like change the
>> viewport... then the screen goes blank and all I can see is the
>> outline of the mouse pointer which is no longer responsive to mouse
>> motion.  The keyboard is unresponsive to control-alt-backspace and
>> control-alt-delete and caps lock and num lock fail to change the
>> keyboard lights.  How do I attempt to identify the problem in a case
>> like this?  I think I might have clicked on an evolution send/receive
>> button soon before both crashes, so my only guess right now is an
>> evolution problem.
>
> It's 4 of 5 work days now that fc5 has hung on me first thing in the
> morning.
> Before today's hang, I had changed my desktop environment from KDE to
> GNOME and had changed the screensaver to blank-screen-only, so KDE
> and screensaves are not the problem.
>
> Evolution still seems like the common thread, but I have no alternative way
> to get email from my company's exchange server, so I can't really
> experiment
> with not using evolution.  I had uptimes exceeding 180 days with fc3 before
> upgrading to fc5.  Now my maximum uptime is 3 days (2 of which were
> weekend days when I didn't use it).  If anybody has a practical
> workaround for this problem, I'd appreciate it.  Or if anybody can suggest
> a way to debug keyboard/mouse hangs, I can try to provide a more useful
> description of the problem to the list.
>
> Thanks...
>
>          David

You might try installing the synaptics mouse driver from the repos.
After it is installed, it might help if you run
system-config-display --reconfig
after backing up your current xorg.conf file and after the package is
installed.

If you have any information in your kernel command related to the mouse
working, remove it and reboot the computer before running.
system-config-display --reconfig

It might be helpful if you could give the output for your hardware for
videocard, keyboard, mouse and the like.

Jim

--
Many people are unenthusiastic about your work.