which is batter ext3, reiserfs or XFS

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue May 23 11:07:29 UTC 2006

Ankur Saxena wrote:
> Dear ALL,
>

> I got the FC5 DVD and i tried to do a fresh install on my laptop with
> reiserfs after the installation when I rebooted
>
> The system after booting the kernel when its trying to start services,
> for each thing it shown me “Unable to open
>
> shared object libc.so” than I booted again from dvd in rescue mode and
> do the chroot to my installation but I was not
>
> able o find libc.so in /usr/lib or in /usr/local/lib, than i repeat the
> installation 2 time but same thin with reiserfs than I installed
>
> FC5 with ext3 and worked fine for me.
>

> Does any body else faced this problem with reiserfs? what is the issue?
> I have faced strange issues with FC4 also (with reiserfs)
>
> Why fedora does support reiserfs properly?

Except for the /boot partition, reiserfs should work properly with
selinux=0 added to the bootloader. Reiserfs 4 is supposed to be able to
handle SELinux, reiserfs current has no way to store selinux file content.

The issue requiring an ext3 /boot partition is related to grub capabilities.

XFS, I have not tried. I believe an ext3 /boot partition is best for
this filesystem choice. I do not know if SELinux content can be stored
in XFS efficiently.

Jim

--
Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing.
		-- Roy L. Ash, ex-president, Litton Industries