ntpq no longer working -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue May 23 12:44:33 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>

>>> FWIW, the hosts file is used to determine the IP address of where you
>>> want to go.  The file is used in looking up in very simple linear
>>> fashion.  So, the last 2 lines are kind of meaningless since it is only
>>> the first match that is used.
>>>
>> Not entirely meaningless. Reverse lookups of 10.1.1.1 and 192.168.1.226
>> should return "box1" with these lines present, which they wouldn't do
>> otherwise.

Yes, I was able to ping every item listed ...  It appears that the line
for 10.1.1.1
is not required, the system can find eth1 without any help from "hosts?"

> Pretty meaningless...even if it did work...and I have serious doubts of
> that.  No practical use.

You are correct in that the line 192.168.1.222 is not required, I
removed it and
the wireless bridge continues to work.  Remember this is not a wireless
adapter card but
an wireless ethernet bridge and I thought it required treatment as
another ethernet port.
I chose it to get around the driver problem I was having making an
wireless adapter
card work, no ndiswrapper required.   It is connected to eth0.
Obviously I was wrong.

>>> On "box1" type "ping box1" and you will always see that the loopback
>>> address of 127.0.0.1 is always used.
>>>
>> I'd drop the "box1" from that localhost line too.
>>

> You may have noticed that the OP states that taking box1 off the
> localhost line causes his boots to take a long time.  Another
> configuration issue most likely....but I get the feeling that quite a
> few things may be mis-configured on his system.  :-)

I am quite willing to admit to not being an expert at this game but this
"misconfigured" computer performs better than many I read about on this
list. I have relatively few problems and solve most of those myself. Much
of the configuration just evolves and I imagine some benign
"misconfiguration"
remains and goes unnoticed. Despite those considerations the real
measure of
success would seem to be does it work?

That said, I really am open to criticism and want to make things as
nearly right
as practical at my level of expertise.  I am not offended and I do
appreciate
the assistance I received.

Bob Goodwin