router using FC4

LC listfedora at gmail.com
Tue May 23 16:17:45 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Marcan" <bob.marcan at interstudio.homeunix.net>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: router using FC4

> LC wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to make a router using a FC4. I have 2 NICs in the machine.
>> Install FC4 using minimium. Eth0 is set to DHCP, connected to an ethernet
>> modem and ETH1 has IP 192.168.1.1, netmask 255.255.255.0 connected to a
>> switch. Installation was a success and rebooted the box. Clients machines
>> are unable to ping 192.168.1.1. But when i unplug the modem and reboot,
>> clients are ablt to ping 192.168.1.1. I realised if the box booted up
>> both ETH0 and ETH1, clients are able to ping 192.168.1.1. But if i ifdown
>> ETH0 and ifup ETH0, clients are able to get reply from 192.168.1.1.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what should I do?
>>
>> Best regards
>
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> # Controls IP packet forwarding
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

This is my /etc/sysctl.conf

# Kernel sysctl configuration file for Red Hat Linux
#
# For binary values, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled.  See sysctl(8) and
# sysctl.conf(5) for more details.

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

# Controls source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
kernel.sysrq = 0

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1