FC5: Sendmail error: hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file...

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Tue May 23 16:23:49 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I just installed a fresh copy of FC5. I uncommented the network loopback
so that it would accept email from all. Everything worked fine, but
suddenly in my Logwatch email this morning, on all my machines, I note
this:

hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/aliases.db: Permission denied
WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/aliases
Cannot create database for alias file /etc/aliases

When I manually type "newaliases" as root, it also gives me this message.
After Googling, others have had the problem, but I couldn't find a
resolution. My permissions on the files in question:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root  root   9961 May 20 00:10 aliases
-rw-r----- 1 smmsp smmsp 24576 May 22 13:40 aliases.db

Those are correct permissions, from what I can tell. Any ideas? Now,
here's the kicker: When I remove aliases.db manually, and then type
"newaliases" everything is as shown above...EXCEPT the user is root for
aliases.db, AND I don't get the silly error message anymore. (Scratches
head)...I think I have owner or group permissions messed up somewhere, but
I am not familiar with the inner workings of Sendmail to figure this out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!