starting fetch mail when system boots up

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu May 25 03:47:17 UTC 2006

Don Russell wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Don't use fetchmail....but couldn't this be done just as easily as a
>> cron job without using daemon mode?
>
> Why not use fetchmail? What do you recommend?

Ooopss  mistype... "I don't use fetchmail..."  sorry.

> Yes, I suppose it could be done via cron... but my view is, given the
> frequency of use why spend all that time loading the program, just load
> it once and let it run... if the memory pages are needed it will get
> swapped out... I figure use the features of the product... it supports
> daemon mode and so it's reasonably intuitive how to change the frequency
> (period) of polling the various pop3 accounts.

Then go the rc.local route...  Many ways to slay the same cat....  I
guess the little time needed to load programs on my system doesn't
bother me.

--
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling
like the passengers in his bus.