ntpq no longer working -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 25 12:53:21 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> Some devices also have a telnet address.  That gives you a simple
>> interface to the device, if you find the web interface doesn't get
>> along with your browser.  If worst comes to worst, there should be
>> a master reset button on it.

Bob Goodwin:
> Yes, but determining the addresses is my problem.  The user
> information provided with the equipment specifies little.

Usually, from initialisation they use DHCP to configure the PCs
connected to them, and they tend to be at 192.168.1.254 (or
192.168.0.1).  So it's not too hard to do your own networking and
customisation.  If you have your PC set to be configured by DHCP, you
can just read the details it's been configured with, the gateway address
will be where the DHCP server is, which will be the router.

> The web interface even had trouble "getting along" with WinXP,

The ones I've seen in some modems were a bit iffy, though generally
workable.  The telnet interface was undocumented, you were on your own
with that one.

> My problem is not that the system does not work, actually it is
> working surprisingly well, but that I don't fully understand how or
> why.

;-)  We've all experienced that.  Then when something goes wrong, it's
the first time you get your hands dirty on it.  You haven't had a play
with it, and got familiar with it, while it was working properly.

One of my first forays into personal computers was resurrecting one that
had been killed off by students and was needed to be urgently working
again later that day.  I did a lot of speed reading of the manuals that
day.

> I'm still struggling to understand the addressing scheme.  Dhcp
> creates some unknowns, how can I see the address assignments it's
> made?  Applications like Etherape provide some data but you have to be
> able to interpret it ...

If your DHCP server was on your Linux box, you could just read
the /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases file.  If it's on your modem/router, you
have to figure out how it works.  Mine has a page in its little
webserver showing you what it's using, but there's very little that I
can configure on it other than the range of addresses it'll dole out.  I
don't use it, I use the one on my Linux box, where I can configure it
exactly how I want it.

Etherape isn't one I'm familiar with.  I've only briefly played with
some of the ethernet gleening tools on Linux.  I did play with similar
command line tools on the Amiga yonks ago, TCP dump sort of things, I
believe they were a port of the BSD ones.  Just having a quick Google on
it, and found the EtherApe page.  I kept reading that as ether + rape,
until just now.  Thinking it was named that way for pillaging
information from your network.  :-\

By the way, does your satellite internet work in the rain?  A few years
ago a friend of mine had one form of satellite internet, and he'd go off
the air within seconds of rain starting, and stay off until it passed.

I read messages from the public lists.