Fedora Core 4 Upgrade hosed Postgresql

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri May 26 02:30:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 19:12 -0700, Bob Ambroso wrote:
> It is a test server. I normally use MYSQL and it was a test app that
> required Postgresql.. It is test data.. Quite alot actually but to
> answer your question.. No.. I blindly upgraded (have done so in the
> past with MYSQL) and now it is hose and I assume my test dat is as
> well...
----
postgresql does not update it's db files. They are most likely not hosed
but rather still in earlier format. If you can move them to another
computer using the same version of postgresql that you were using, you
should be able to then pg_dump all the data and them load it into the
newer version. That is the way postgresql has always worked.

You should be regularly 'dumping' your data from any sql db as a backup
whether it is mysql, postgresql or ???

You should be backing up your data prior to any OS 'upgrade'

I did the same thing myself in upgrading Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 4
but I did have a pg_dump file that was a few days old.

;-)

Craig