Two NICs, Two gateways

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri May 26 07:11:23 UTC 2006

On 26 May 2006 at 1:43, redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:

From:           	redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Date sent:      	Fri, 26 May 2006 01:43:06 -0400
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:        	Re: Two NICs, Two gateways
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> On May 25, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Terry Polzin wrote:
>
> > On Thursday May 25 2006 21:24, redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I have a FC5 machine running apache at work which I set up as an nfs
> >> server to share files in our office. Unfortunately, our IT guys
> >> blocked everything except apache ports and therefore I can't run nfs
> >> since the traffic doesn't reach that linux box. We have two gateways
> >> at work,  one 10.0.0.200 for the IT department and apache, and the
> >> other 10.0.0.201 for the rest of the users. I installed a second card
> >> into this machine to serve NFS shares with a different IP and the
> >> gateway for the users. Unfortunately, even though I configured both
> >> cards with one different gateway each, the last NIC to load at boot
> >> sets the gateway for both cards and it either allows http traffic or
> >> nfs traffic, depending on the gateway that gets set.
> >> Can someone show me how I can get each card to access different
> >> gateways?
> >> Thanks,
> >> EJ
> > There can be ONLY one default gateway, sounds like you need to set
> > up a static
> > route for the one interface.
>

> How do I do that?
> EJ

Not sure if it will do what you want, but you might want to look at:
Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
http://lartc.org/

I have a system with two nics connected to two different network paths.
Using the info and ip route, it can setup routing to use both paths and have
multiple default routes. Not sure how it would your setup.

Additionally, I have setup static routes route for various networks to use one
or the other interface.
route add -net xxx.xxx.7.0/24 gw nicip

I later have a
ip route add equalized default .....

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC Seti at Home Total Credits 1014885.197410