printer problem on Fedora Core 5: "Unsupported Personality'

Ian Brown ianbrn at gmail.com
Fri May 26 12:56:26 UTC 2006

Hello All,

  I have an hp1010 printer connected directly to my machine.

It happens to me  many times that I send a  print job, it is printed
ok, and them after a time when the
printer is Idle, I try to print again. But many times it happens that
if I try to print
again I get a printed page with one line on it ("Unsupported Personality: PCL")
instead what I had submitted to print.
In such a case, I shut down the CUPS service, turn off the printer,
then turn it
on, then start the CUPS service. And usually after this series of
actions it prints  OK,
until it occurs again. I must add the the printer is quite new.

Any idea what is the problem here and how to solve it ?

Regards,
IB