FC5: Sendmail error

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Fri May 26 15:37:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> You shouldn't normally need a trusted user in sendmail.cf at all. It's an
>>> appropriate setting in submit.cf though.
>>>
>>> I'd be inclined to do chown root /etc/aliases.db and then forget about it
>>> unless it somehow gets changed back to being owned by smmsp, in which case
>>> I'd be looking to find out how that happened.
>>
>> Well, I did do that...change the permissions...and then this morning it was
>> back to user smmsp. I have no clue how that happened. This is even after
>> re-installing Sendmail.
>
> Can you tell from the timestamp when exactly this happened, and associate
> that timestamp with a package upgrade, cron job, some event in the mail log
> etc.?

Turns out, it was a package upgrade. I install all of the
"updates-testing" programs, and I believe pam or something else of the 24
ptches I downloaded yesterday fixed the problem. Nice to know it wasn't me
for a change. Thanks for your time though...and after 3 days, I'll call it
case closed.

SOmetimes you bleed living on the bleeding edge!