fc5: install everything?

Andreas M. Kirchwitz fedora-list at list.zikzak.de
Fri May 26 21:43:08 UTC 2006

Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:

 >>> You never need to explicitly ask for libraries unless you are a
 >>> developer. yum will find them.
 >>
 >> And for your users that *are* developers???
 >
 > you install the devel packages you need to work with.
 > Choosing "software development", "gnome-development", and
 > "kde-development" groups will get most of them for you.

Even if all groups and their packages are selected,
quite a number of packages are installed without their
according devel package (like gtk+-devel, glib-devel or
ImageMagick-devel). This can be annoying if you want to
compile some software yourself.

I usually prefer to have packages installed complete
or not at all. But installing only some parts of them,
that is confusing.

I think, there's room for improvement.

	Greetings, Andreas