Re: make use of /dev/shm

> From: "Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net" <d terweij nettuning net>

> > Can I point some apps's tmp dir to /dev/shm?
>
> No leave it alone is my guess.
>
> Danny

Yep.  To use shared memory, you need to write programs that use specific
system calls, and you have to take special precautions to make sure that
the programs that share the memory are properly synchronized. When it
works correctly, it's beautiful and fast.  When it's used incorrectly
things can crash.  You can get an idea by looking at the manpages for
calls like shmget(), shmat(), and related calls.

Erik