htaccess + apache

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun May 28 08:56:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 22:41 -0400, CodeHeads wrote:
> Have a quick question. Did not find what i was looking for on google.
>
> Say if my document root for my virtual sites is /var/www/sites
>
> Can I put the following .htaccess file in the document root to restrict access?
> Order allow,deny
> allow from all
> deny from 123.123.133.145
>
> I know that I can use the httpd.conf file, but I am tring to do something a bit
> faster.

A bit fast in what way?

If you set up the access controls in httpd.conf and have "AllowOverride
None" then the web server doesn't have to check for .htaccess files for
every single access, and hence will perform faster.

Or do you mean faster to set up, so you don't have to reload the server
config?

Paul.