Does Fedora mess up the clock for Windows?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sun May 28 18:09:28 UTC 2006

> ntpd does not normally make one large change. Instead, it will
> slowly change the clock over time. This is especially true if the
> system clock is ahead of the correct time. Turning back the clock
> can cause interesting problems for any program that uses system time
> or timestamps. So what is done instead is that the clock is slowed
> down instead, until the time matches. (I think it skips every nth
> time tick.) On the other hand, if the difference is too large, ntpd
> should exit with an error.
>
> >From man ntpd:
> Under ordinarily conditions, ntpd adjusts the clock in small steps
> so that the timescale is effectively continuous and without
> discontinuities.
>

> Mikkel
> --
That's what I like about this list.  I'm always learning.  In the
meantime I agree with the subsequent post to yours that at bootup that
would be synched properly and immediately.  So unless an application
after initial bootup went and changed the clock time to another time
zone which would result in the behaviour you noted from ntpd that
shouldn't happen.  And if that is happening, then the earlier point I
found when Googling this is that it could be caused by an application
you installed messing with the clock.

Jacques B.