New to linux

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 29 15:55:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 08:26 -0700, Otto de Voogd (Fedora List) wrote:
> Besides FC5 installed out-of-the-box on my new computer, while upgrading the
> laptop from FC4 to FC5 gave a few minor issues when I ran yum update for the
> first time.

You seem to be luckier than some.

On the three (very different) computers that I've tried to install FC5
on, it fouled up terribly.  On two of them I had to manually install
GRUB, post-installation, to get it to boot (one was a dual boot PC, the
other was solely FC5).  This seems to be a common story.

On the other, it was a complete non-starter as far as trying to install.
But FC4 installed without a hitch on the same box, and one of the others
(we didn't try again on the third).

That's the sort of thing that a newcomer mightn't find as a good
introduction.  And if they were about to download a few gigs of files to
try it out, they mightn't appreciate wasting it.

It might be a good idea for the original poster to say what hardware
they have, the motherboard and video card, at least.  Then someone might
be able to say it worked fine for them, or otherise, on the same gear.

I read messages from the public lists.