Open a range of ports with iptables

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Mon May 29 17:51:56 UTC 2006

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> FC comes with a tool for configuring the firewall - if you go to the
> System menu, Administration, Security Level and Firewall, you'll get a
> GUI that allows you to change some of the more rudimentary aspects of
> the firewall. You could use this to open up the ports you wish, but,
> that would probably mean adding 100 rules (I don't think this GUI
> understands port ranges, I could be wrong).

It does. If you go into the "Firewall Options" tab, there's a section at
the bottom labeled "Other ports." If you expand this, you can click the
"Add" button to its right, and in the entry for port(s) you can specify
a range by entering the beginning and ending port numbers separated by a
hyphen ("-").

For example, one of the settings on mine (for BitTorrent) is as follows:
Port(s): 6881-6889
Protocol: tcp

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
   DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479