Backup Yes again....

Kayvan A. Sylvan kayvan at sylvan.com
Mon May 29 22:40:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 04:19:56PM -0500, Matt C wrote:
> > My command is below
> >
> > tar -civf /media/administration.tar.bz2 /home/administration/
>
> That command creates an uncompressed tar file, not a bz2 file.  Try this:
>
> tar cvf - /home/administration | bzip2 -c > /media/administration.tar.bz2

Better still:

tar -cjvf /media/administration.tar.bz2 /home/administration

Why don't you try to use dump/restore instead? I do the following:

I periodically create a level 0 dump, then I do level 1-14 dumps, which
I put into a /media/backup/DVD directory until I get close to the limit
of space on the DVD.

I just add the latest dumps to the DVD (multi-session) and that's it!

Read "man dump" and "man restore".

The "star" command also has some true incremental backup features.

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan, | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)