New to linux

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 30 01:34:15 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> On the three (very different) computers that I've tried to install FC5
>> on, it fouled up terribly.  On two of them I had to manually install
>> GRUB, post-installation, to get it to boot (one was a dual boot PC, the
>> other was solely FC5).  This seems to be a common story.

Les Mikesell:
> Normally that would only happen if you install on RAID1

This wasn't.

> or if you have multiple disk controllers and the installer can't tell
> which one BIOS will use to boot.

Not this case, either.  It was just ordinary UDMA IDE connectors, one
primary and secondary, as popular over the last several years.  One hard
drive on the primary, one DVD-ROM drive on the secondary, BIOS set up
accordingly.  The only variation to that was the dual-boot box, which
had two drives on the primary.  No other OS we've installed on this
hardware (Win98SE, Win2000, WinXP, FC4) had any dramas getting it right,
just FC5.

I read messages from the public lists.