pre-install error: "Error mounting device: X as Y: invalid argument",

benlanc at ster.me.uk benlanc at ster.me.uk
Tue May 30 10:57:34 UTC 2006

> I would guess that Mediagroup/Media is your old JFS volume, and that the
> installer can't deal with it (mount it).

Indeed.

> You could leave it out during the
> install, and add it to /etc/fstab later.

A wise plan. Install went OK, and the FC LVM app shows the volume correctly, however I now can't mount it (despite all the devices existing as they should):

# mount -t jfs /dev/mapper/MediaGroup-Media /Video
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/MediaGroup-Media,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

The last line in dmesg is:

JFS: nTxBlock = 8093, nTxLock = 64745

...and /var/log/messages shows no oopsie either.

Back at square one...

Ben