Linux equivalent to IBM Access Connections for Windows?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Tue May 30 11:28:19 UTC 2006

Hi,

Em Segunda 29 Maio 2006 08:31, Irvine Short escreveu:
> Hey All
>
> I have a laptop running FC5 just fine.
>
> I was wondering if there is a Linux equivalent to IBM's Access
> Connections?
>
> It allows you to define several profiles which control which http proxy,
> smtp server, wireless network, etc etc you use depending on where you
> are.

For the network configuration (IP, mask, gateway, DNS and wireless
configuration) you can use netgo (from extras) or the Network utility which
comes with FC. For proxies and SMTP servers, I don't know any program that
will do it for you. These are not system wide settings, proxies and SMTP
servers are application specific settings. Of course, KDE applications should
use the global KDE settings and I think the same applies for Gnome
applications but, in general, it would be difficult for an application to set
up proxies and SMTP servers for every possible other application that may
need them.

[]'s
Marcelo