Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 31 12:52:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 07:34, Rickey Moore wrote:

> > So in summary after copy or cut, I am never sure whether shift-insert
> > or the mouse-middle-button will paste the just cut text. Frequently,
> > neither works properly.
> >
> > Anyone else? Any suggestions? This is one of those minor annoyances
> > that is extremely frustrating at times.
>
> Using Oracle and Netscape we had to use Abiword in-between to cut &
> paste at all. Copy from Netscape, paste to Abiword, copy from Abiword,
> paste to Oracle. What a royal pain. It was explained to me, but I have
> forgotten the reason. Linux will never make it to Joe Lunchbucket's
> computer until it becomes resolved, and this problem goes back a LONG
> way. It was 6 years ago when we were doing that procedure to copy, cut
> & paste.  I feel your pain. :) Ric

Things really have to go out of their way to break the basic
X mechanism of highlight/middle-mouse to snarf and barf.
Unfortunately, a few things do - and it isn't that great
if you only have a 2-button mouse.  The additional clipboard
mechanisms added by desktop environments and applications
aren't always compatible but you only have to use them in
situations where you can't keep the source highlighted or
you want to select an area on the target to be replaced by
the paste operation without losing the copied section.

Once you get used to using the middle-mouse method, having
to do an extra step to copy becomes really annoying.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com