Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed May 31 23:39:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 11:54 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> Rickey Moore wrote:
> > Using Oracle and Netscape we had to use Abiword in-between to cut &
> > paste at all. Copy from Netscape, paste to Abiword, copy from
> Abiword,
> > paste to Oracle. What a royal pain. It was explained to me, but I
> have
> > forgotten the reason. Linux will never make it to Joe Lunchbucket's
> > computer until it becomes resolved, and this problem goes back a
> LONG
> > way. It was 6 years ago when we were doing that procedure to copy,
> cut &
> > paste.  I feel your pain. :) Ric
>  From the original post, it's not clear where he's trying to copy
> from
> or too.  Clarification on that may help us explain why a particular
> application isn't behaving the way you'd expect.  However, there's
> nothing wrong or broken about X or its copy mechanisms.

The Oracle front-end used java, I think. One of the RedHat guys can tell
us what the deal was with Oracle as that was the app we had problems
with. Ahha! I remember!! The Oracle app was called CRM that we had to
use to do installation support with. I disliked it immensely. Rahul,
have they finally got the kinks out of that old hack? The only good
thing about it was that you could be at home, open an ssh session and
then init cipe to tunnel to your RedHat machine at work,  and have your
CRM screen right there at home. I thought it was clunky, as my screen at
home over a 56k modem refreshed almost as quick as it did at the office.
<chuckles> It was a pantload and cursed daily while juggling Netscape to
find the answers the support users could have found, copying and pasting
to Abiword then copying and pasting to the CRM system, and looking so
knowledgable to warrent the support costs. Google was just starting up
then. Who knew? <chuckles> Ric