Analog Telephone Adapter usage

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 18:21:05 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> That is also the achilles heel of SIP. I've now signed up for several of
> these providers, but the confirming email containing the connection
> details never arrives, and there is no place where one can actually
> contact a human to straighten things out, AND their software won't allow
> you to repeat the process.  My guess is that verizon is (its a fact they
> filter according to their broken definition of spam and you can't opt out
> without changing your email address) out these emails "from the
> competition" to preserve their stranglehold on their long distance income.
> Because of this, I have yet to make a phone call with anything but skype.
>
> If someone knows howto make ekiga work, without having to screw around with
> the confirming emails, please educate me.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with your ISP than anything
else. Most registrations for service require some sort of email
verification even if they are free. It is a necessary evil. I would
suggest getting a webmail address if Verizon is pulling shenanigans
like that. Unfortunately, if your provider is blocking registration
emails, you are presented with a catch-22. One method of getting
around that is to use a throw-away email account generator like
http://www.mailinator.com/ to either get a more permanent webmail
address or for the service registration itself.

Ekiga is quite good in that it allows me to simultaneously login to
multiple SIP accounts at once and I have used it fine with Gizmo and
FWD as well as the SIP account that you can get through ekiga.net .
There is some good info on setting up ekiga with ekiga.net or some
other SIP provider in the manual at
http://ekiga.org/documentation/ekiga.pdf

/Mike