Running own mail server

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Nov 4 01:43:12 UTC 2006

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:08 -0700, David G. Miller wrote:
>> > The only problem I've run into is my ISP still claims my IP address on
>> > a reverse look-up so there are a very few places (spamhaus in
>> > particular) who won't accept e-mail from my domain.
>>

> This is where it's an advantage to get your ISP to host your DNS
> records.  You *may* be able to get them to put in a PTR record for you.
> You've very unlikely to get them to do so when you host your records
> elsewhere.
The scary part of asking my ISP to host my DNS records is:

[root at bend kernel]# dig any www.mesanetworks.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> any www.mesanetworks.net
;; global options:  printcmd

I'm sure they'll be back sometime soon.  Out for a beer maybe 'cause
it's Friday night.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce