Updating a headless server to fc6 ?

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Tue Nov 7 00:47:59 UTC 2006

Kim Lux wrote:

> I've got a headless server that I use ssh and such to do everything on.
>
> Is there an easy surefire way to update the server to fc6 without
> putting a monitor and keyboard on ?
>
> Can this be done with yum ?   I remember people talking about doing yum
> updates in the past but I believe there was some controversy about
> whether it was a legitimate method.  Comments ?

Yes it can be done using yum. It's not an officially supported method
hence the 'controversy', but I've updated many systems this way without
much issue and infact it seems to work better in many cases than
upgrading with the DVD/CD method. You just need to manually install the
fedora-release file from fc6 and then do a yum update.

--
Ian Chapman.