FC4 to FC5 upgrade login sound reeeaaaallll slow

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 7 16:16:12 UTC 2006

Philip Walden wrote:

> I just upgraded from FC4 to FC5 using the download iso images.
>
> It was painless enough, but now when the log in screen is present, the
> log in sound plays reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy slow. After I login the rest of
> the sounds come on perfectly. When I check out the
> System->Preferences->Sounds. There is a momentary blank warning dialog
> and then the Sound dialog comes up. All the sounds, including the log
> in sound play at the correct speed.
>
> Any thoughts.
>
> Its a HP Omnibook 6000, ESS Maestro-3i, the driver is snd-maestro3.

I finally figured this out and I thought I would share the solution.

I am not sure what happened with the FC5 upgrade, but the startup3.wav
file was 16 bit. The login screen (System > Administration > Login
Screen, Accessibility Tab) only handles 8 bit wav files properly. Using
glame, I converted it to 8 bit and now it sounds normal.

Philip