auto.smb mounting

A Yagi ayagi at scripps.edu
Wed Nov 8 21:07:52 UTC 2006

Jamie Bohr wrote:
> auto.smb is a script not a regular auto mounter file.  It kind of works
> like the auto.net <http://auto.net> but for SMB services.
>
> - Jamie
>
> On 11/8/06, * A Yagi* <ayagi at scripps.edu <mailto:ayagi at scripps.edu>> wrote:
>
>     The idea is mount the CIFS share as the user who tried to access it.
 >     >     It would nice if it works more like  NFS in that UIDs would
get mapped correctly.

You can achieve this by the method I suggested.

In /etc/auto.master, define the directory you want to mount your CIFS
share like:

/smb  /etc/auto.winshare

In /etc/auto.winshare you have a line like:

winbox  -fstype=cifs,rw,noperm,user=zzzzz,pass=xxxxxx,workgroup=yyyy
://winbox/sharename

When you do a ls /smb/winbox, the remote share gets mounted on /smb by
autofs.  It works like nfs automount.

Akemi