FC6 RPM packages missing, kdebase and openoffice.org dependency problems

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 10 13:37:49 UTC 2006

Deron Meranda wrote:
> I have an FC6 system that was upgraded from FC5.  Ever since, there have
> been a few strange problems with package dependencies.  The first was a
> problem with a missing gnome-terminal dependency, but I managed to fix it.
>
> But it appears as if some RPM packages which are actually installed are
> no longer known.  The files are still on the system, but they no longer
> belong to any package and don't show up with an RPM listing.  And it
> also means that yum doesn't know about them either.
>
> ---- openoffice.org problems ----
> I can not run any openoffice application, I get something like,
>  /usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice: line 140: \
>       /usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/pagein: No such file or directory
>  /usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter.bin: error while loading
> Also, a listing "rpm -qa | grep openoffice" gives a whole lot of packages,
> mostly language packs, such as...
>   openoffice.org-langpack-ms_MY-2.0.4-5.3
>   openoffice.org-langpack-pt_PT-2.0.4-5.3
>   openoffice.org-langpack-ta_IN-2.0.4-5.3
> but NO openoffice.org-base, -calc, etc. as expected.  Trying to do a
> "yum update openoffice.org" just gives
>   Could not find update match for openoffice.org
This is telling you that no package with that exact name is currently
installed. {and does not exist}

>   No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
And hence you cant update it.

What does:
# yum install openoffice* give you as a response.

My system was upgraded from fc5 to fc6, and oo was OK. It's possible
that there was a confict which the upgrade could only solve by removing oo.
> ---- kdebase Xserver dependencies ---
> When trying to do a "yum update" today I get the following strange kde
> dependencies that I can't figure out...
>
> yum update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package kdelibs.i386 6:3.5.5-0.2.fc6 set to be updated
Is the six in front suggesting that this is a testing or rawhide package ?

# cat /etc/fedora-release
# uname -a
# grep enabled=1 /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo
should shed some light.

> How do I fix all this?
try the above, post results back.

> How can I verify that my RPM database is correct,
> that it still knows about all the packages that are actually installed and
> hasn't forgetten any more?
# rpm -Va
will show any files changed; it is normal for certain config files to be
changed {c}, and also see changes due to pre-link {correct me if i'm wrong}.

For a longer {but maybe less useful run} add -v .

What does it say ?

DaveT.