Post FC6 upgrade ACPI problem

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Nov 10 15:09:59 UTC 2006

Following my upgrade of a system at home to FC6, I noticed that my PS
fan wasn't coming on.  I figured it was due to the fact the power
management system was tweaked (since with FC5 the fan was ALWAYS on),
but I began seeing these messages in syslog:

Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device
[df7067ac] 'off'
Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN1] to D3
Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN1] to D3
Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device
[df7067ac] 'off'

I'm slightly worried about the system getting too hot, even though it's
not really used that much.  Is this due to the i586 kernel being run on
my P4 or something else?  Any thoughts on how to fix?

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator