Mounting USB devices with stable names

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 20:11:49 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> As far as mounting goes, you may want to give the file system
> labels, and let HAL auto-mount them. The drive then gets mounted on

Then again, I might not :-)

Labels do not particularly appeal to me.

> /media/<label> when it is plugged in. If there is more then one
> partition on the drive, then each gets mounted off of /media. If the
> partitions are not labeled, then HAL has some other rules it uses to
> construct the names. The auto-mounting will normally make FAT file
> systems owned by the user who "owns" the console. You can also turn
> off auto-mounting in the GUI.

That sounds good. I like configurable, especially for mounting.
There are some real issues I have with my CDROMs auto starting
the CDCREATER stuff. I'd just as soon that nothing got auto-
mounte ever.

> If you have special requirements for how the drive gets mounted,
> then you can ether write HAL rules to cover it, or you can have udev
> create a special device name or symlink based on the device. Vendor
> ID and device ID are usually enough, but you can also use the serial
> number.

That sounds good, also, though such may start to get complicated to
do initial setup.

> I can give better advice if I know exactly what you are after. I am
> not an expert on this. But I have played around enough that I can
> probably point you in the right direction.

Thanks so much for the kind offer. At present, I probably need to
read more about udev before making any sort of try at it. Umm,
some questions which I might ask now...

[1] I suppose that there is a version for Fedora, no? (I use FC2.)
[2] I suppose that it "takes over" once installed, no?
[3] Is there an easy means to revert to the more conventional
system which is currently used on my machine?
[4] I suppose that the actual mount points are configurable, no?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.