Samba Authentication Hassles for Mac

Lance Drake lance at drake.org
Fri Nov 10 20:15:35 UTC 2006

> Did you change the "encrypt passwords" setting in samba?  Look at
> the logs in /var/log/samba for hints, and tell us what you see.

Hi Gordon,

	To answer you question: "No I did not change that."  I'll checked
and it was commented out.  The smb.conf file looks like it offers
some other configuration opportunities - I can check them out to see
if they help.

	So, I purchased the DAVE app from Thursby.com for $119 (after a
successful TRY&BUY experience) and now I can connect.  OK... it looks
like it's a basic MacOSX problem - or a Fedora smb.conf problem that
the Mac chokes on - because nobody in the Windows world has a problem
connecting to the box I was aiming at.  I have tried changing the OS
user:group, permissions, etc to no avail.  I'll post a bug report at
developer.apple.com - but I imagine it'll probably be a low priority
for them.  At least they'll HEAR about about the issue.

Thanks VERY much for your attention to my question!

Lance Drake