any need for any MTD functionality on a desktop system?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Nov 12 17:08:57 UTC 2006

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i notice that the default kernel config shipped with FC6 selects, as
> modules, a sizable selection of options under MTD support.  is there
> anything here that's actually required on a non-embedded system that
> has no flash?  my first impression is "no" but i'm willing to be
> disabused of that notion.

Hi Robert -

I never saw anything use MTD or JFFS2 outside of onboard flash devices
for embedded: no USB sticks or anything else AFAIK.  But since they are
modules, isn't it okay that they build the modules by default and hardly
anyone uses them?  For example NBD isn't widely used, but the fact there
were modules for it in the default Fedora kernel has been really useful
for me and nobody else had to have it taking up main memory (although I
guess a lot of people are storing it).

-Andy