Why I hate "info"

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Nov 12 23:06:45 UTC 2006

"AragonX" <aragonx at dcsnow.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it does or not but I find it difficult to navigate
> info. I'm a man page nut but once it refers me to the info
> documentation, I'm in trouble. Perhaps I just haven't taken enough
> time to learn info but man seems to work well enough... All the fancy
> navigation just confuses my old brain. It's kinda like emacs vs vi to
> me. I'm just a simple vi man. Emacs has a lot of fancy features but I
> just want to get the job done. Down with info! Man forever!!! LOL Let
> the flames begin. I'll just hide behind this firewall with my flame
> retarding underwear on. :)
pinfo: It doesn't improve on the content but it at least makes
navigation easier.

I can't remember whether it was on HP-UX or SunOS but I once needed to
find out how to use uuencode/uudecode on a file.  This was back in the
day before mime types and people would uuencode a binary before sending
it and just slurp it into their mail message.  The man page provided all
sorts of wonderful detail on how the program worked and not a smidgen of
help on how to use it.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce