kacpid chewing up CPU

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Nov 13 14:49:32 UTC 2006

I recently posted an error message I was getting from the acpi daemon on
my newly upgrade FC6 box.  It's a pretty generic HP with a 2.4GHz P4.
It's been rock solid up till the upgrade, but since the upgrade acpi
isn't kicking on my fan and I get tons of syslog messages like this:

Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device
[df7067ac] 'off'
Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN1] to D3
Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN1] to D3
Nov  8 00:02:50 sulla kernel: ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device
[df7067ac] 'off'

So far, I've not seen any messages in reply to my post, so I'm taking
another tack.  With this system, I'm seeing kacpid taking up nearly 100%
CPU, which is killing performance on this box.  I can't kill that
process, but I"ve stopped acpid for the time being so my log files don't
fill up / any more.  Fortunately, I have this box in a very cool
location and it's not used much so I can leave it that way while I test it.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the heck is going on?  Anyone seen
this problem?

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney