Nvidia installer does uninstall previous kernel driver ?

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:25:29 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> wrote:

> In my rant last week, I complained about how the Nvidia installer
> uninstalled the video driver for previous kernels.  Some people said
> this wasn't so.
>
> This morning I installed kernel 2849 via yum.  When I ran it, I was
> forced to build a new driver using the
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run installer.   This is the same
> installer that I used with my 2835 kernel last week.
>
> When I did the install this morning, I received the following. (From
> my /var/log/nvidia-installer.log)
>
> "> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system
> (version: 1.0-
>    9629).  As part of installing this driver (version: 1.0-9629), the
> existing
>    driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? ('no'
> will a
>    bort installation) (Answer: Yes)"
>
> So it appears that one must un install the driver for the previous
> kernel to install a driver for the current kernel.  Just to be sure, I
> tried running kernel 2835 and X windows will not start for it.  So the
> previous driver does get un installed, even though the same installer is
> being used.
>
> This causes me a lot of grief.
>
> If anyone knows of a work around for this problem, I'd love to hear it.

-K, --kernel-module-only
      Install a kernel module only, and do not uninstall the
      existing driver.  This is intended to be used to install
      kernel modules for additional kernels (in cases where you
      might boot between several different kernels).  To use this
      option, you must already have a driver installed, and the
      version of the installed driver must match the version of
      this kernel module.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org