FC6 Missing icons after update and terminal not starting

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 09:20:58 UTC 2006

2006/11/15, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com>:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
>
> >> Jim
> >>
> >> tnx for help.
> >>
> >> Not easy to follow your advice as Terminal is not operating (dying
> >> immediately)
>
> Is this the terminal launched from the GUI?
>
> Anyway, since you came from RHL8, quite a lot of programs were added and
>   removed. You might have to drop to runlevel 3 or ctl-alt-Fn to a
> virtual terminal and log in as root to do this. If you cannot even get a
> basic terminal, I really have no idea as to a direction to take.
>
> Basically, run yum grouplist to get the groups and run yum groupinstall
> for the groups which you want to make sure are at least to the default
> group level.
>

> >> Maybe that it is connected to some gstreamer library??? (from
> >> googling..)???
>
> I'm sure that there are a lot of added libraries effecting stability of
> the GUI since RHL8. Running in a shell should get you a more complete
> system. The group installs pull in all sorts of programs which were not
> previously released in earlier versions.

> You got the system this far, it should be operational enough to pull in
> some of the additional groups.
>
> At this point, development releases seem easier to maintain than way
> back starts to the newest release version.
>
> Good Luck,
> Jim
>
> >> --
> >> Antonio Montagnani
> >> Skype : antoniomontag
> >>

> > i created a new user but I get same bad results?
> >
> > Any idea??
>

> --
> I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't
> prove it.
>
> --

Tnx Jim

I have tried to run a yum groupinstall but I have a stupid problem:
when I run a yum grouplist I get the list for example

Gnome Desktop Environment

But if I issue yum groupinstall Gnome Desktop Environment
I get the error that Gnome and Desktop and Environment ar enot exixting.
What is the exact grammar??

Tnx for help

--
Antonio Montagnani